Wordscapes - Stories inspired by the Ramayana
About the Competition
This Ramanavami, CSP in collaboration with Chinmaya Viswavidyapeeth and the Heritage Trust invites you to celebrate the Gudiya Sambhrama festival by choosing characters or themes from the Valmiki Ramayana as inspiration for your short stories.
Valmiki’s Ramayana is a mixed pot of tales of various people, flora, fauna, cities, rivers, mountains and many more. These characters have inspired various authors and poets to bring forth many lovely creations.
The Center for Soft Power in collaboration with the Heritage Trus and Chinmaya Vishwa Vidyapeeth (CVV) invites you to spin a short tale inspired by one or more characters of the Valmiki Ramayana.
Submit your short stories and stand a chance to win exciting cash prizes. The winning stories along with the authors’ bio will be featured in the Center for Soft Power Magazine.
Entry to the contest is FREE!
- Age Group: (a) 8 - 13 years, (b) 14 - 17 years (c) 18 and above years
- Nationality: Indian and International. However, the winners will receive the cash prize, only if they have an Indian bank account.
Prizes per category:
- First Prize- INR 10,000
- Second Prize- INR 7,500
General Guidelines for the Competition:
- Characters or a specific premise the Valmiki Ramayana can be taken as inspiration for the story.
- The entries must be in English.
- The story must be your own original work.
- For ages 8-16, the entries must be at most 1000-3000 words. For ages 17 and above, the entries must be upto 3000-5000.
- Plagiarism is strictly NOT allowed and will result in immediate disqualification.
- One entry per author.
- Entries must avoid the usage of vulgar language.
- Verses from the Valmiki Ramayana can be quoted in the stories.
Deadline: The last date for submission is 21st May, 2021.
Submit your essays using the following google link: https://forms.gle/NSjBdZASiZ7Dzyhq9 Subject of your file should be: Wordscapes_your name. Example: Wordscapes_Softpower
By submitting the short story, you accept that CSP and the Heritage Trust and Chinmaya Vishwa Vidyapeeth have the rights to showcase the stories, with your permission, on their online platform as part of the festival, even if you are not one of the winners.
If you win either the first or the second prize, you automatically grant permission to CSP and Heritage trust to upload the story with due credits on their online magazine (softpowermag.com)